Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Not a disability, just a different ability

So I'm sitting here waiting for my car to be fixed yet again and it hurts to move my arms.  My backpack feels like it's full of bricks (well it is full of IEPs) and why am I in such pain you ask? Because I am super out of shape and exercised for the first time in a while yesterday.  To be fair, it wasn't your typical work out-- I pulled my cripple ass up a 30 foot wall using only my arms and a pulley system.




Thanks to Prime Climb and Paradox Sports, there was an adaptive climbing class.  It's a new thing they started and is going to meet every other Monday and I am so doing it again! Now I am not nearly as hardcore as I look up there.  It is actually pretty awesome what they do.  They had someone in a regular harness with a pulley to help her with her feet, and they had different ways of doing the one I did.  The system I used was a harness that you sit in and get strapped in (kind of like a kiddie swing) and there is a pull up bar that is attached to the rope and the buleyer helps with the weight.  There are different body weight ratios-- first number being what you pull, second is what is being pulled for you- 1:3, 1:2, 1:1.  I did the 1:3-- for every one pound I pulled, they pulled 3.  I'm going to try the 1:2 next time.




  I just used the pulley system, but one of my friends there went not only on the 1:1 pulley, but also pulled himself up the actual rock wall. I said I'm not there YET, but I'm keeping an open mind.  The have an over night planned for real rocks and camping in October, but that's cold... and real rocks are scary- but maybe.  Being out and active again made me realize how badly I really need to find a sport or gym to keep busy. It felt great to break a sweat and feel exhausted!

My spinal cord injury happened 13 years ago next week.  Since I've been in a wheelchair I've tried a lot.  Prior to my injury, I wasn't very athletic. I was on dance company, I loved roller hockey and I did enjoy indoor rock climbing but that's pretty much where it stopped.  Since I've been in a chair I choreagraphed and performed in a wheelchair dance, tried sled hockey, tennis, boxing, krav maga (just once), skiing, basketball (that one was just with friends, not on a team), went skydiving, and now rock climbing.  I got my drivers license and returned to school within a year of my injury, and have done all sorts of road trips, vacations, and random adventures independently.  I feel that this is what helps me with my special education sudents- Don't be afraid to go out of your comfort zone, don't let people say you can't do something, always find a way to try. Always have realistic expectations-- there are some students that may never go to Harvard, just like I may never independently get up a flight of stairs-- but there is no reason why you can't try to find a way to get to the top.  End soap box rant...


No comments:

Post a Comment