Monday, September 12, 2016

Let's talk pumpkin beer

As mentioned in my last post, I enjoy the fall beers.  The BF and his BFF share photos via text of each Oktoberfest beer they try every year because they both LOVE Oktoberfest to a ridiculous point. My bestie (who I refer to as my wifey) and I enjoy pumpkin beers, she actually enjoys EVERYTHING pumpkin, which most things I do as well, so I started the text tradition as well.  This year she has an adorable 6 month baby girl at home, so she has not been participating in the usual pumpkin beer obsession due to being responsible.  The BF and I often make "black o'lanterns" which is a black and tan using Guiness and pumpkin beer. I find the more pumpkiny the beer the better for those. BF prefers the lighter pumpkin spice flavor.

So for this post, I am reviewing some of the pumpkins I have tried this season to share the wealth and knowledge. Again, I apologize for the lack of artistic integrity in the pictures, this began as just texts between the wifey and I.

Leinenkugel's Harvest Pumpkin Shandy
Leinnie's is one that I love their various beers, but tend to be very sweet. The pumpkin is no exception.  This is a light and crisp beer, however, extremely sweet.  I referred to it as "cupcake beer".  The notes of cinnamon and spice are very noticeable and there are actually undertones of real pumpkin.  To me, I think of it more as a pumpkin spice soda. It would make a great black o'lantern. 


Kentucky Pumpkin Barrel Ale
This pumpkin ale was brewed in bourbon barrels and has the nice undertones of the bourbon. It also has the nice 10% alcohol content that has the extra kick.  It is less sweet, but has some nice spice to it. I'm not a bourbon drinker- as much as I really want to be, however, I do like some of the beers or ciders that are brewed in the barrels as well as some of the sauces (such as my bourbon meatballs I'll have to post).  I didn't get to finish this one, because 1/3 of the way through it I noticed on the label it said Contains: Wheat, Pecans.  I'm allergic to tree nuts.  It hadn't hit me yet, but since I was out of Benadryl I decided against finishing it.  Sad day in beer land.  


Cooney Island Freaktoberfest Big Ol' Pumpkin Ale

This one was quite good. It also complimented the chocolate cake I had for breakfast Saturday quite well.  The ale is brewed with pumpkin, spices and expresso beans.  It has a mild pumpkin spice taste and a darker ale. It's still sweet (as most pumpkin ales are) but not overly sweet. 


Ballast Point Pumpkin Down
This one was really tasty.  It was a nice light pumpkin flavor.  It's a Scottish Ale with pumpkin spices.  It had more of an ale taste rather than the pumpkin spice.  I will definitely have to get this one again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment